autism and barbecues
So my autistic need to schedule and plan an entire weekend went out the window and I still have lots of things I need to do but on the other hand I did buy and assemble this barbecue smoker.
I have a nice piece of pork belly in the fridge, and I think I'll prep it tomorrow morning with a dry rub and smoke it and see what happens.
I love my slow cooker. I had a sudden notion for a curry this weekend, so I chopped up an onion and put it in the pot along with chopped tomatoes, mixed beans, lentils, and some spinach. I grabbed some spices from my dubba and popped them in. Job done. Will be ready by morning and that's dinner sorted for tomorrow 😊
I just noticed "foreach" on npm is controlled by a single maintainer.
I also noticed they let their personal email domain expire, so I bought it before someone else did.
I now control "foreach" on NPM, and the 36826 projects that depend on it.
Although now that I think of it, for the same price I could probably get many business cards printed with the same info, thereby balancing out the price-to-durability ratio I'm looking for
I feel like with the surge in Mastodon memberships I should nearly spin up* my Gemini site. It feels like it would just...fit.
Back in the day (early 90s) the whole "web" thing was a contest between HTTP and Gopher. HTTP won and now we have the world wide web. Gemini is a recent addition and is intended to work alongside Gopher and HTTP/WWW. Gemini sites are very simple; imagine very early websites, great for blogs.
(* by "spin up" I mean figure out why it's currently broken, it should be up)
8. If you're blind or partially sighted, there's a guide specifically for screen reader users at https://www.starshipchangeling.net/mastodon
9. There is no overall owner of Mastodon, it's a collection of thousands of independent servers each with their own owner and set of rules.
10. There are no venture capitalists or cryptocurrencies or tokens or coins or web3 or NFTs or anything like that on Mastodon. Servers are entirely owned and paid for by their admins, and they rely on donations to keep going. Please be nice to them, they're doing you a favour by building this lovely corner of the internet.
New people, welcome to Mastodon and the Fediverse!
Here's how to get started:
2. Find out your Mastodon/Fediverse address so you can share it with friends (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107248252715651564)
3. Invite people to join you on here by telling them to go to https://joinmastodon.org and click on "Get Started". It doesn't matter if they join a different server because the servers talk to each other (here's a bit more of an explanation https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107021461185874594)
4. Find out what the Fediverse is (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107044096139091624)
5. Find out why Mastodon being on so many different servers/instances is a really good thing (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107083735491993183)
6. If you see anything nasty, you can report it to your friendly server admin (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/106540152842368591)
7. You can (sort of) verify your account if you own a website (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/106274105538953001)
If you have any questions, @ me or DM me!
Righto, here’s my fedi-tips:
- it’s slower here, less addictive than corp social media. This is a good thing, try and enjoy it.
- you see what you follow. No ads, no obscure reshuffling, no manipulating your emotions. Enjoy that too.
- please consider using CWs. Could it hurt, shock, upset, harm?
- please describe your pictures if you can
- give benefit of the doubt: text easily misleads
- shared something negative? Maybe follow with positive action.
- fash, queerphobes, bigots: fuck off 💚
I'm thinking software engineers and developers, mainly, and also useful material for their teams and employers and so on.
"Don't believe in me; believe in yourself." - Satan