mastodon.ie is one of the many independent Mastodon servers you can use to participate in the fediverse.
Irish Mastodon - run from Ireland, we welcome all who respect the community rules and members.

Administered by:

Server stats:

1.8K
active users

#ArchitectureofDown

0 posts0 participants0 posts today

1960 – Outlook House, Holywood, Co. Down
Architect: Ian Campbell

Later extended - according to Campbell’s obituary in the 'RIBA Journal', he and his wife lived in a caravan in the car park at the front of their office while they built this, their house 'Outlook' on a site overlooking Belfast Lough. In different stages of complet
archiseek.com/1960-outlook-hou
#1960

1956 – Civic Centre, Holywood, Co. Down
Architect: Munce & Kennedy

Civic centre including library, a maternity and child welfare clinic, council chamber, and a public hall for 500 designed in the late 1940s for Holywood Co. Down. Built in two stages. According to The Builder "The immediate problem was one of circulation and access, and
archiseek.com/1956-civic-centr
#1956

1961 – St. Mary’s High School, Newry, Co. Down
Architect: Corr & McCormick

The Education Act 1947 provided for free secondary education to all throughout the United Kingdom. The immediate result was an explosion in pupil numbers, a shortfall in teaching staff and greater pressure on existing resources. This prompted a boom in school buildings acro
archiseek.com/1961-st-marys-hi
#1961

1957 – Cyril Lord Carpet Factory, Donaghadee, Co. Down
Architect: McAlister, Mather & Partners

A factory built for textile entrepreneur Cyril Lord, known as "The Carpet King". Lord’s diversification into carpet manufacture was prompted by a major technological innovation – the introduction into
archiseek.com/1957-cyril-lord-
#1957

1854 – St. Mary’s Church, Newcastle, Co. Down
Architect: John J. McDonnell

Starting life as a simple single aisle church, the nave was entended by two bays, and a polygonal apse later added. The entrance front and spire were added to St. Mary's around 1910, tenders being invited in 1909, to designs by John J. McDonnell. External embe
archiseek.com/2024/1854-st-mar
#1854

1897 – Enniskeen House, Newcastle, Co. Down
Enniskean House was built in the late 1890s by R.W Murray a businessman from Virginia in the United States. Built as a summer retreat and designed to take advantage of the spectacular views of the Mourne mountains.

Murray was principal of Murray Sons & Co. Ltd tobacco manufactu
archiseek.com/2024/1897-ennisk

1905 – Former Railway Station, Newcastle, Co. Down
The first terminus of the Belfast and County Down Railway (BCDR) opened their line south from Downpatrick in March 1869, but the current building dates from a 1905 remodelling when the Great Northern Railway of Ireland arrived here from Banbridge. The station at Newcastle is a
archiseek.com/2024/1905-former
#1905

1902 – Dunleath Arms Hotel, Ballywalter, Co. Down
Architect: William J. Fennell

Small hotel, Lord Dunleath "intends to run the inn under the Gothenburg principle, falling into line with a movement which is increasing in favour in the North of Ireland". Now a private residence.

The Gothenburg or Trust Public House
archiseek.com/2024/1902-dunlea
#1902

1849 – Groomsport House, Groomsport, Co. Down
Architect: James Sands

A two-storey sandstone Jacobethan house designed by English architect James Sands for John William Perceval-Maxwell, of Finnebrogue. After some years as an hotel, much altered - the basement has been excavated, and the building e
archiseek.com/2024/1849-grooms
#1849

1841 – First Presbyterian Church, Holywood, Co. Down
Also known as Bangor Road now Holywood First Presbyterian Church. This church was designed by the minister, the Rev William Blackwood, who also superintended its construction and was built at a cost of £1,500. It was built in the Gothic Revival style, then
archiseek.com/2024/1841-first-
#1841

1804 – Clandeboye, Bangor, Co. Down,
Architect: Robert Woodgate

Ballyleidy House was extensively remodelled and extended for 2nd Baron Dufferin, to form a substantial L-shaped building consisting of a 7-bay southern range and 9-bay range to the east. Throughout the late 1840s and 1860s, other designs
archiseek.com/2024/1804-clande
#1804

1786 – Bryansford Gate, Tollymore Park, Bryansford, Co. Down
Architect: Thomas Wright

One of several ornate gateways, follies, and eye-catchers in the former demense of Tollymore Park. This distinctive granite gate features foiled buttresses, crenelated parapets, and crocketed pinnacles, and was based on a design by Thomas
archiseek.com/2023/1786-bryans
#1786

1755 – Belvoir Park, Newtownbreda, Co. Down
Architect: Christopher Myers / William J. Barre

A Georgian house for Arthur Hill, later Viscount Dungannon, which was added to the North end of an earlier house. Later additions by William J. Barre to the house including the fine courtyard with r
archiseek.com/2023/1755-belvoi
#1755

1867 – Lissara Presbyterian Church, Crossgar, Co. Down
Architect: William Barre

The Foundation Stone of the Church was laid on 26 August 1865 by James Sherman Crawford, Esq., J.P. on a site in Crossgar Square donated by James Cleland, Esq., J.P. The new church cost less t
archiseek.com/2023/1867-lissar
#1867 .Down .Barre(1830-1867)